Get help with COVID-19 costsby Rob Sysak, November 16, 2020
On November 16, businesses in modified Stage 2 regions or, going forward, in areas categorized as control or lockdown, can apply for rebates to help with fixed costs, such as property tax and energy bills.
Application forms will be available starting on November 16, 2020.
You will be able to complete a single form to apply for both property tax and energy rebates
Support is available for businesses that were required to close or significantly restrict services as a result of modified Stage 2 public health measures announced on October 9, 2020. Going forward, areas categorized as control or lockdown will qualify.
Currently, this applies to businesses in:
- York Region
Types of businesses that are eligible for support include:
- restaurants and bars
- gyms, facilities for indoor sports and recreational fitness activities
- performing arts and cinemas
- bingo halls, gaming establishments, casinos, conference centres and convention centres
- community centres, multi-purpose facilities, and museums
- personal care services (with exception of oxygen bars)
- racing venues
- meeting or event space
- in-person teaching and instruction
The following businesses will not be eligible:
- Business located outside modified Stage 2 regions (i.e., located outside Ottawa, Peel, Toronto and York Region), or going forward, in areas not categorized as control or lockdown.
- Business within the areas subject to public health restrictions that are not required to close or significantly restrict services.
Eligible businesses could get rebates for:
- municipal and education property taxes
- energy costs, including electricity and natural gas (or where natural gas is not available, propane and heating oil)
- Funding will cover the entire length of time that regionally targeted public health restrictions are in place.
- Most businesses can expect to receive their rebate payments within a few weeks of submitting a complete application.
What you’ll need to apply
- To apply, you will have to submit proof of costs.
- For property tax rebates, this includes your property tax bills (or proof of costs associated with property taxes).
- For energy cost rebates,
- this includes a digital copy of the first energy bill (including electricity, natural gas, propane or other) you received on or after the day Stage 2 restrictions were put in place in your region.
- You can also submit other energy bills if your business is heated by propane or heating oil.